List:       olpc-localization
Subject:    Re: [Localization] Vietnamese input not working fully on the XO
From:       Clytie Siddall <clytie () riverland ! net ! au>
Date:       2010-03-16 5:48:47

Hey, Simos! Long time no e. Hope everything is going well for you. :)

On 16/03/2010, at 4:37 AM, Simos Xenitellis wrote:

> Hi Clytie,
>
> I can get the characters for 6, 7 and 9 in another keyboard layout, which means
> that something is merely wrong in the keyboard layout you are using
> for Vietnamese
> on the OLPC.

Definitely. The usual Linux layouts work correctly on other machines. The OSX layouts \
work correctly. Even Windows inputs Vietnamese, if you go through a tortuous setup \
process with extra packages. (Heh, Simos, did you see that Windows is finally going \
to have a Vietnamese localization? I think it's a great compliment to our progress \
with FLOSS. For some time, users have been able to run a Linux computer entirely in \
Vietnamese, including the install and setup processes, if they install Debian and use \
GNOME. Worried about the WTO deadline and 90 million potential users, are we, M$?)

Note: initial keyboard layouts do have teething problems. I can remember that the \
initial Vietnamese layout on OSX turned out to be decomposed, rather than composed \
Unicode (reported and fixed way back then). This resulted in separation between the \
base character and the accent in programs based on Carbon. That was freaky: I thought \
I was seeing things. Sometimes the accent would separate from the parent vowel and \
follow the cursor around the screen!

As I said, Vietnamese is a useful test case for Unicode support. ;)

> To frame the issue, it is more like a case of not having the keyboard
> layout tested early.

Oh, yes. That is exactly the problem. I'm localizing blind here.

> Technical background: I do not know whether Vietnamese uses 'SCIM' or 'GTK+ IM'
> on the OLPC. Sayamindu?
> 1. If the OLPC uses 'SCIM', then you need to fix the SCIM layout for Vietnamese.
> 2. If the OLPC uses 'GTK+ IM', then those characters for cases 6, 7, 9
> are verified to work,
> so again it is a case of fixing the keyboard layout from XOrg. The
> keyboard layout file
> for Vietnamese is /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/vn

Thanks for your help, Simos. :)

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team