List:       olpc-linux-mm-cc
Subject:    Re: [linux-mm-cc] compcache on linux 2.6.5
From:       "John McCabe-Dansted" <gmatht () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-08-31 10:41:51

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 6:46 AM, Adatto, Yariv <yariv.adatto@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have the option to use linux 2.65 or 2.6.16.
>
> Can you please tell me which version of compcache is supported
>
> on these versions of linux?

From my reading 2.6.16 supports basic mutexes*, and compcache-0.3
didn't use any fancy mutexes. Compcache-0.2 and compcache-0.1 were
buggy and shouldn't be used regardless. Even if 0.3 doesn't work on
.16 it should be trivial to fix.

* See e.g. http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.16

$ grep mutex compcache-0.3/compcache.c
#include <linux/mutex.h>
                mutex_lock(&compcache.lock);
                        mutex_unlock(&compcache.lock);
                        mutex_unlock(&compcache.lock);
                mutex_unlock(&compcache.lock);
        mutex_init(&compcache.lock);

> I know that it is highly recommended to use the latest version of compcache, but

I think 0.4 was basically just performance tweaks. I have been using
0.3 for ages and haven't had any real trouble. Just don't try to
allocate a >= 4GB device because 0.3  doesn't check for integer
overflow.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student