List:       olpc-india
Subject:    Re: [OLPC India] charging XOs using bicycles
From:       "Arjun Sarwal" <arjun () laptop ! org>
Date:       2008-04-27 16:54:16

Thanks, Richard. I will try and put up these details on the wiki.

On 4/27/08, Holden Bonwit <hbonwit04@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Richard and Arjun, thanks for taking some time to help!  I do realize that a
> bicycle isn't the fastest way to get something charged, but I have one  in
> front of me, and nobody has posted about it, and I think *someone* out there
> might actually legitimately want to use this method.  So I'll pursue it for
> now.

Sure, please do post your experiences on the wiki as you progress,
we'd  love to hear about them (and help in whatever way we can)

> In measuring the output from my dynamo, it's anywhere from 0-34 Volts, AC,
> which was very surprising.  It is marked simply "Miller 12V 6W"
>
> I've been working to get the dynamo to power a pair of computer speakers --
> when it can do that reliably then I'll try it on an XO.  Right now I've just
> got a diode bridge with a capacitor across it, and that is doing fairly
> well.  A small amount of hissing/vibration noise.  Might go with a higher
> capacity capacitor.  Possibly a supercap?  Not sure what the fix is.
>
> Additionally I'm going to throw on an LM7815 or LM7812 to try and steady out
> the voltage a bit.  The problem is really that the input is such a wide
> range, and yet I don't want to go to a full, proper power system.
>
> Thoughts?

*** If you are directly charging the XOs ***
Richard suggested L200, which I find is a  great solution  because its
low cost, robust, requires minimum external components and easily
available too. This circuit regulates voltage and limits current too
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:L200.png
(you might need to recalculate R1 R2 and Rsc values)

*** If you are charging a car battery and then charging the XOs from there ***
I believe this might be a better solution, because car batteries could
charge at much faster rates too when you have more current and would
easily absorb the fluctuations in current.
Regarding the acceptable range of voltages for car batteries, youd
need to check.

Hope this helps.
Let us know how you progress.

best regards