List:       olpc-chicago
Subject:    Re: [OLPC-Chicago] Chicago-IL summer nucleation group
From:       "Langellier, Larry" <Langellier () morainevalley ! edu>
Date:       2008-03-07 4:00:02

> > Steve Mastej and I are traveling to Springfield, IL tomorrow to attend a \
> > legislative committee hearing on a proposed new bill titled "Children's Low-cost \
> > Laptop Act". We'll report back afterwards on what we hear there...
> How did it go?

The trip went great! The "Children's Low-cost Laptop Act" passed out of the Computer \
Technology Committee by a 6-0 vote today and the bill will now move to the full \
Illinois House for debate and hopefully eventually a favorable vote. From there, it \
would move to the Senate for the same process. You can view the full text of the \
proposed bill at http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=09500HB5000ham002&SessionID=51&GA=95&DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=5000&print=true. \
Also, you can follow the bill's progress at \
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=5000&GAID=9&GA=95&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=35963&SessionID=51.

Now would be the time to contact your Illinois State Representative and voice your \
support of this bill! Tell friends about it - up to $100 million to outfit up to 300 \
pilot classrooms.

In addition to the bill passing the committee vote, a couple more highlights were \
that we helped Ryan Croke, Policy Advisor to Lt. Governor Quinn, fix a broken screen \
on an XO that they have. We had Ryan do the bulk of the work and he had it fixed \
within 10 minutes. His comment was "WOW"! ;-) This is the first laptop officially \
fixed by the MVCC XO Center. Hopefully Adam won't mind that we left one of the \
screens from the broken laptops with them... :-) We also got to meet with Lt. \
Governor Quinn for 15-20 minutes. He is a HUGE advocate of OLPC and he dreams of \
every child in Illinois having a laptop.

> > I have attached the draft of a proposal that details an OLPC/XO Support Center \
> > that would service individuals, schools, and grassroots efforts in the Moraine \
> > Valley Community College district. This proposal was sent to the Dean of Science, \
> > Business and Computer Technology, the Vice President of Academic Affairs, and \
> > Moraine Valley's College President here at MVCC today. Any feedback that any of \
> > you would be willing to share would be appreciated!
> Is this proposal something that would be ok to publicly post on the
> wiki, perhaps with large amounts of {{draft}} tags?

You are welcome to post any/all of this info to the wiki. I keep meaning to update \
the MVCC wiki page and OLPC_Chicago mentions of the MVCC chapter, but if anyone else \
gets a chance to post this info the help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It has been a productive week. We still intend to roll out a Repair Center proposal \
by the end of the weekend.

Larry