List:       olpc-accessibility
Subject:    [laptop-accessibility] Recent problems with SPAM on this list - and
From:       Peter Korn <Peter.Korn () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2008-01-04 15:13:48

Dear fellow listers,

In the last few days this mailing list has been hit with a lot of SPAM.
It appears that one or two individuals have passed the simple Turing
tests for subscribing to this list and also other accessibility lists
(same guy is doing this to several lists I'm on), and then sending
SPAM.  First time, I simply unsubscribed & banned this poster, but today
we were hit again with new folks.

So I've taken the next step - all new subscribers are unable to post
until I've reviewed their first posting and "bless" them as being able
to post directly without moderation.  If that step proves insufficient,
I will temporarily make the list completely moderated, and turn off the
moderation bit on folks as they post content that is clearly on topic
and not SPAM.

I apologize for the distraction of the SPAM, and hope that the first (if
not the second) measure will prove sufficient to keep this list SPAM
free going forward.

Regards,

Peter Korn,
list owner for accessibility@lists.laptop.org