List:       olpc-accessibility
Subject:    Re: [laptop-accessibility] neophyte with an interest in
From:       Peter Korn <Peter.Korn () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2007-12-16 18:50:22

Hi Paula,

I very much hope to see the XO become a good option for this use
(speaking as a non-OLPC employee).  Depending upon your father's needs,
this may take a shorter or longer amount of time.  In particular, with
the keyboard designed for a child's hands, his decreased manual
dexterity will at a minimum likely benefit greatly from an
external/additional input device - whether it is a full keyboard, or a
specialized keyboard like the IntelliKeys family, or a single switch
interface, or a head tracker.

If you are seeking a computer for him in the very short term, you may
want to look at other options, including open source UNIX options (using
many similar underlying components to the XO - namely X Windows & GNOME
& Linux).  There are a number of relatively inexpensive laptops (<$400)
which will run things like Ubuntu 7.10 which might be a very interesting
option for him - and on which AT tools for folks with physical
impairments like GOK and Dasher work very nicely.  GOK can be driven
from a single switch device (essentially a USB mouse button, but costing
significantly more and coming in a wide range of sizes and styles - see
http://www.enablemart.com/Catalog/Switches for a catalog of them; and
get one either with USB built in, or a USB converter box).  Dasher is
optimally used from an (x,y) tracking device (e.g. a head mouse, though
a standard mouse will also work).  GOK can also be driven by [head]
mouse (and Dasher also by switch).  GOK & Dasher are core parts of
GNOME; have been for several years now...

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.