List:       ojb-user
Subject:    Re: Using org.apache.ojb.tools.mapping.reversedb.Main
From:       Thomas Dudziak <tomdz () first ! fhg ! de>
Date:       2004-10-27 13:04:39

Philip DONAGHY wrote:

>Hello everybody,
>
>I am using ojb tools v1.0.1 to reverse an existing database. I use the
>"Save XML" and "Generate Java" features as shown here.
>
>Click on "Connect to Database" and enter the following parameters
>Set "JDBC Driver Class" to "oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"
>Set "JDBC URL" to "jdbc:oracle:thin:aip/aip@142.3.22.156:1529:finaixm"
>Set "Username" to "aip"
>Set "Password" to "aip"
>
>Click on "Read"
>Enter nothing in the first dialog and click "OK" (a regular expresion
>defining all catalogs to be read)
>Enter "AIP" in the second dialog and click "OK" (a regular expresion
>defining the schema to be read)
>Wait for the results (2-3 minutes depending on client machine and
>database size, performance)
>
>Click on "Enter package"
>Enter "db.finaixm"
>
>Click on "Save XML"
>Save file as finaixm-db.xml in the directory etc-generator relative to
>this project.
>
>Click on "Generate Java"
>Generate Java in the directory src-generated/finaixm-db relative to this
>project.
>
>I have seen two major problems with the default behavior.
>
>1.) The Java files generated use the type Long for columns with sql
>datatype NUMBER(3,1)
>
>2.) The xml file generated is missing reference-descriptor(s) for
>foreign keys that point two times to another table.
>
>I saw the Note "The ReverseDB tool is not up to date - any help is
>welcome." So I will help.

While I think that it is cool that someone works on the ReverseDB tool
again, there are (at least) two other things that you might want to try
first:

* Druid (http://druid.sourceforge.net/)
* commons-sql (for generating a database schema) and Torque (for
generating code from the database schema).

Tom