List:       ojb-user
Subject:    Dealing with huge binary objects
From:       Stanley Poon <spoon () cisco ! com>
Date:       2004-05-26 21:00:41

There are big binary objects (long raw or longvarbinary) > 40 MB in the
database. In the OJB mapping, the column is mapped to a field declared as byte
[].

During a query, the whole 40+ MB is loaded into memory. If I'm using JDBC
directly, I can use getBinaryStream() and read in by blocks. This will save
lot's of memory. Most of the time, I don't need the whole binary object.

But I couldn't figure out how to do this in OJB. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Stanley