List:       ofbtalk
Subject:    [OfB Talk] If Only
From:       David McGlone <dmcglone () edificationweb ! com>
Date:       2003-01-21 22:18:04

I was going to post this on my website, but is seems to be temporarily down,
but in the future you can find it at
http://www.edificationweb.com/ifonly.html

Anyway, I would like everyone to read this, I wrote this in 1991, when the U.S
was at war with Iraq under Bush Sr. I won awards for this speech that I gave
in front of thousands of people, in a contest held by The national optimist
club on columbus. I also received recognizance by the Senate of the 119th
general assembly of Ohio and took this speech all the way to the National
finals only to be beat by a guy that gave a speech about Polution.

by: David McGlone
Columbus, Ohio

                                                           IF ONLY.....

	If only there were peace in the world, people wouldn't be dying from wars.
Families wouldn't be seperated and have to worry about loved ones away from
home.

	If there was peace, we wouldn't have to spend a lot of money on weapons
because we wouldn't need them. We could spend that money on things like
housing for the homeless, more money and benefits for the handicapped and
elderly, and higher standards of living for people all over the world.

	We would have more time, because instead of fighting, we could spend our time
on research for things like cancer and aids.

	The war in the middle east put Irag's development back 200 years because of
the loss of resources and industry.

	World war II caused the loss of great art treasures and historical monuments
because of the many bombing raids over Eastern Europe.

	The civil war put brother aginst brother, and neighbor aginst neighbor. There
was bitterness and ill feelings for many years after the fighing had stopped.

	The Vietnam conflict caused much loss of  life for both sides and divided the
United States on the question of wether we should be fighting there at all.

	In the beginning, the United States was fighting for freedom and
independence, but it seems lately that we are fighting for other reasons
which makes war seem even less important.

	I think if there were peace in the world, people would not have to worry
about losing their homes or standards of living because of the war.

	We could put our money and time to better use than fighting and destroying
countries and lives. And we wouldn't be destroying the things that have been
created.

	People wouldn't have to live with the threat of nuclear destruction and war.
Families wouldn't have to move because their homes were destroyed by a war.

	People wouldn't have to worry about walking out of their homes and getting
hurt.

	Just think of how much better it would be if we didn't have 400,00 people in
the middle east fighting a war and all the other soldiers all over the world
who could be home now enjoying their lives and their families.

	Just think if only there were peace in the world...
- --
David M.
Edification Web Solutions
http://www.edificationweb.com