List:       odtug-webdev-l
Subject:    RE: Printing Web Pages
From:       "John Caputo" <johnjc () surewest ! net>
Date:       2004-05-17 22:45:02

This reply didn't make it to the list last week, so I am resending it.
Using an At-Rule is an interesting approach. I have tried it and works
well for screen and print options. Jason's suggestion wasn't necessary.

- J

John, John and Jason,

When Jason suggested the onbeforeprint event, I looked into my DHTML bible
(by O'Reilly) and his approach was suggested with this event. JavaScript
could flip over to another css file for printing then flip back
via onafterprint event. Of course this is restricted to IE 5+ on Windows
only. Microsoft seems to come up with the ideas first for getting rich
features inot web applications (God, I blanch at that idea, but it's
true). Too bad beaurocratic organizations like W3C take so long to get
anything new and effective into a standard. At this point in time, forget
Netscape's [lack of] influence.

There is another concept here I found in the book. Under CSS2 definitions,
you can have a reference in your style sheet to what is called an At-Rule
(because they begin with an @ sign). One is @media and you can specify
different style sheet properties based on the output media, such as
screen, print, pocket computer, other new nifty devices. Currently only
'all', 'print' and 'screen' options are available. Media is also an
attribute of an HTML style object (<style> tag). If you have the book,
check this out. It has some interesting possibilities.

John Caputo
johnjc@surewest.net

--
ODTUG Now! 2004, Let Us Show you How! June 20-24, 2004 at the Westin Kierland
Resort, Scottsdale, Arizona.  Visit http://www.odtug.com for details.--
Author: John Caputo
  INET: johnjc@surewest.net

Fat City Hosting, San Diego, California -- http://www.fatcity.com