List:       odtug-warehouse-l
Subject:    Good books on source/object versioning, release management and testing?
From:       "Tanase, Gabriel \(Genworth\)" <Gabriel.Tanase () genworth ! com>
Date:       2005-09-02 8:53:29

Ahoy to the best!
(and apologies if you receive this in multiple copies)

A friend is getting the incredibly luck ;-)) of being put in charge of
establishing a process for small-scale and large-scale release
management and testing within a project implementing a small packaged
application, on top of which app significant custom development has
taken place.
(I know, I know, custom dev smells very bad in that context; please
forgive).

Said friend's background is that of a business analyst and the team's
background & experience in software SCM, QA and testing is relatively
weak.

The nature of the beast, sorry I mean of the packaged application, is
that significant dependencies exist between processes and transactions,
because of:
- the cumulative effect of financial transactions and
- the dependency on time: it does matter whether a transaction is
performed within the same financial month as the previous transaction or
during the next financial month

With the above in mind, could you please recommend a few good books to
start him on:

	A. Version control of software artefacts (all inclusive: source
code, database object definitions, built artefacts (i.e. all kinds of
binaries e.g. Oracle forms and reports)

	B. Release management, build and deployment

	C. Software testing, especially regression testing and
performance/volume testing with large number of test cases and test data
sets

The special request: the books should ideally discuss the above in the
context of implementations of packaged applications, such as Oracle
Apps, SAP, JDEdwards, PeopleSoft, QAD, Lawson etc. etc., with some
attention dedicated to custom code developments, testing and releasing
within such ERP implementation projects.

Having said the above, I will look with interest at any recommendations
of good generalist books that don't make references to ERP.

Could you please state whether the books are good for near-beginners in
these fields or do they assume some significant prior experience.
They should also be non-specific to particular software tools used for
SCM, QA and testing.

Special note to data people: although useful, versioning of non-code
database artefacts (tables, columns etc.) is of secondary importance in
this project. This being a packaged app, the data model does not change
often. Furthermore, when they happen such changes are (mostly) done by
the package vendor, hence outside our control anyway. Our custom code
uses existing data model, has not added tables, columns, views etc.

Thank you very much for all your suggestions.

Best regards,
Gabriel Tanase
Genworth Financial formerly GE Financial
IT Systems Designer
gabriel.tanase@genworth.com

Opinions expressed in this message are my own and do not represent the
opinions or policies of Genworth Financial or GE or any of its
employees, directors, officers, shareholders or affiliates.

--
Hope you were able to visit ODTUG Now! 2005 in New Orleans!  Stay tuned for
the location of the 2006 conference.  ODTUG will also be at Oracle OpenWorld
Author: Tanase, Gabriel \(Genworth\)
  INET: Gabriel.Tanase@genworth.com

Fat City Hosting, San Diego, California -- http://www.fatcity.com