List:       odtug-warehouse-l
Subject:    Re: Tool comparison
From:       Attila Ambrus <ambrusa () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-03-19 8:16:20

http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/obe10gdb/bidw/etl2/etl2.htm#t4

HTH

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:12:17 -0800, Berthoff, Tom
<tberthoff@thomcomp.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Well, we're a little further along our data warehousing project. I want to
> check some information we've collected about tools with you all.
>

> The main data warehousing tools we've identified as candidates are
> Informatica and Oracle Datawarehouse Builder (ODWB).
>

> Informatica apparently mines the Oracle logs to move data from the on-line
> system to the data warehouse incrementally, without putting processing load
> on the on-line server.
>

> ODWB apparently requires us to move the base information. According to our
> DBA, who spoke with a sales person at Oracle, ODWB depends on complete
> extracts of the base system and can't deal with incremental updates. This
> requires directly querying the source system.
>

> Is the above true?
>

> One project requirement is to take as much data extraction processing off of
> the on-line system as possible.
>

> Another requirement is keeping the on-line system and a replicated version
> of that system (used to source the data warehouse) constantly synchronized.
>

> Is the Oracle sales guy wrong? Can ODWB incrementally move updates from the
> on-line system to the warehouse? Or do we need to use replication for this?
> Or materialized views?
>

> Thanks for your input.
>

> Tom
>

> Tom Berthoff
>
> Lead Oracle Developer
>  Thomcomp Inc.
>  555 E. North Lane
>  Suite 6025
>  Conshohocken, PA 19468
>

> 610-834-1120 ext 354 (voice)
>  610-834-8890 (fax)
>  610-220-5794 (cell)
>

> tberthoff@thomcomp.com

Desktop 2005 - You're Virtually There! February 15-17, 2005
Visit http://www.odtug.com for details. Computer + internet required.
Keynote Speakers: Bill Inmon, Sohaib Abbasi and Thomas Kurian.
Author: Attila Ambrus
  INET: ambrusa@gmail.com

Fat City Hosting, San Diego, California -- http://www.fatcity.com