List:       odtug-warehouse-l
Subject:    ADMIN: Status of list server systems (and update about missing messages)
From:       "Bruce A. Bergman" <bruceb () fatcity ! com>
Date:       2004-01-20 1:39:25

Folks --

I have good news and bad news. ;-)  First the good news:

Several people had mentioned that they've sent messages to some lists but have not \
seen the posts arrive back to them.  These messages DID appear in the archives \
though.  This started roughly 12-Jan-2004.  I had previously researched this issue \
but could find no reason for it happening, nor a solution.  Up until today, that is.  \
 The cuplrit was one of my load balancers for mailing list traffic.  It was handling \
traffic correctly on some of the machines, but squirreling away messages sent to one \
specific server.  I'd estimate about 1/8th of the messages sent to mailing lists \
since 12-Jan-2004 were not redistributed properly.  I have since found and fixed the \
problem, so this shouldn't happen in the future.  I suspect I was only able to \
re-send a portion of the missing messages, so my apologies for anyone who posted a \
message that didn't make it to a list.  Also, my apologies to everyone who has to \
deal with the increased traffic of the old messages, plus current messages, plus the \
inevitable onslaught of re-posts that will occur in the next few days.  Please be \
patient with each other.
So the good news was: problem found, problem fixed, some catch up done, shouldn't \
happen again.
The bad news is that this morning (roughly 7am PST), a construction crew near Fat \
City cut through a section of telecom cable that was critical for our connection to \
the net.  They've been working feverishly on it all day, but Fat City was off the net \
most of the day.  Until about 3pm PST.  I believe things are about back to normal \
right now, but there's always a ramp-up time to truly get back to normal.  My \
apologies to anyone who was affected by our downtime.
If you have any questions or concerns about anything, please let me know.

Thanks,
Bruce Bergman
ListMaster, Fat City Hosting

--
This message is an announcement from the Oracle Development Tools User Group
Author: Bruce A. Bergman
  INET: bruceb@fatcity.com