List:       odtug-warehouse-l
Subject:    BOARD: Oracle announces support for C/S on WinXP
From:       "Bruce A. Bergman" <bruceb () fatcity ! com>
Date:       2003-03-18 16:59:02

One of the primary purposes of ODTUG is to be the voice of the user community to \
Oracle.  Several months ago, Oracle announced that it would not support Oracle6i \
Client/Server on Windows XP.  Oracle also asked for ODTUG's input on this subject.

ODTUG ran a survey of its membership and presented the results to Oracle.  Members of \
the ODTUG board also held extensive discussions with Oracle's executives on this \
subject.

We are pleased to forward the following announcement of Oracle's new direction of \
Client/Server Support on Windows XP to members of ODTUG in advance of its release to \
the general public.  We believe that the unified voice of ODTUG played a major role \
in Oracle's decision.

The ODTUG Board of Directors

____________________________

ORACLE'S ANNOUNCEMENT ON CLIENT/SERVER SUPPORT ON WINDOWS XP (3-14-03)

As you know, Oracle is committed to Oracle Forms and is focusing its development, \
testing, and certification resources on Oracle9i Forms, the latest release of the \
product, part of Oracle9i Application Server. Therefore, the certification of \
previous versions of Oracle Forms (Forms 6i Client/Server) was not planned on recent \
versions of the Windows operating system (Windows XP).

Given the feedback that Oracle received about this announcement from various user \
forums and from direct discussions with customers, we have undergone a review of our \
policy.  This has primarily taken into account business cases provided by customers \
and partners supporting the case for XP certification. As a result, we are now of the \
opinion that even though many organizations have already scheduled their upgrade to \
Oracle9i Forms, the support and certification of Windows XP for Forms 6i \
Client/Server deployment appears, in the short term, to be necessary to ease the \
transition toward this upgrade.

As such, Oracle Forms 6i with Patchset 13 (6.0.8.22) and above will be certified for \
Client/Server deployment on Windows XP Professional. Windows XP will be the final \
major Windows operating system that Oracle will certify for Forms 6i Client/Server \
deployment. Of course, Oracle9i Forms Developer and the Oracle9i Forms Client \
(web-based deployment) will continue to evolve and be certified on new operating \
systems as they are released.

Oracle Corp.

--
Join us at Loews Miami Beach, Florida on June 22-27, 2003 for our best
ODTUG Conference yet!  Details and registration at:  http://www.odtug.com
Author: Bruce A. Bergman
  INET: bruceb@fatcity.com