List:       odtug-warehouse-l
Subject:    RE: Data Warehouse Initialization Parameters for Oracle and
From:       "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse () qtiworld ! com>
Date:       2002-07-02 15:43:22

You might also want to lookup the STAR_TRANSFORMATION_ENABLED parm.

If you're switching logs every 12 seconds during loads, you can easily
extrapolate new switch times by multiplication.  If you double the size of
your redos, your switch times will approximately double.  Triple the size,
triple the time between switches, etc.  I say "approximately" because
switching every 12 seconds can cause some I/O to overlap during the
archiving process, which may be reduced with fewer log switches.  Then
again, your archiving will take longer with larger redos, so there may be no
improvement.  Also check to see if you are able to use features like direct
path loading and/or nologging (depending on how you get data in there) to
reduce the amount of redo generated.  You must understand the impact these
features have on things like locking and recoverability first!  See the
Oracle docs and take some Oracle DBA classes, too, for best results.  :)

Also, we're using 8.1.7.2.0 on HP/UX 11.0.  I'd suggest patching to at least
8.1.7.3 just for the number of bug fixes.  The final patch is 8.1.7.4, and I
can't imagine why NOT to go there, but I haven't really looked at it.  And
from what I've heard, 9i offers more performance enhancements for DWs, like
multiple block sizes in the same DB.

Good luck!  :)

Rich.Jesse@qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Thanks to everyone for making ODTUG 2002 a great success!  Plan now
for next year's conference: Loews Miami Beach, Florida, June 22-27, 2003.
Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse@qtiworld.com