List:       odtug-sqlplus-l
Subject:    Re: PL/SQL tool review
From:       SUE HARPER <sue.harper () oracle ! com>
Date:       2011-03-21 12:11:56

As product manager for one of the tools listed here, I am no doubt
biased.  I do, however feel very strongly about two things. One is that
you should use the right tool for the job at hand and each of the tools
has its merit in specific areas, so you need to research and find the
one that suits you. Second is that we, in the SQL Developer and Data
Modeler development teams at Oracle, want to build the tool that works
for our customer base. To that end we monitor the OTN forum and have a
feature exchange where our customers request and vote on features. Each
of our releases thus far have included a long list of feature requests
that have been driven by the community.
We currently have SQL Developer 3.0 in an early adopter release cycle.
This process allows customers to review and feedback on a new release
before it's production.  I'd encourage any of you reviewing the product,
to look at the latest release and also to get involved in the OTN forums.

Regards
Sue

On 17/03/2011 14:45, McDonald, Eric wrote:
> We're doing a PL/SQL tool review at present having become thoroughly fed-up with \
> SQL Navigator which is now bloated and clumsy. What's the current preferred PL/SQL \
> development tool which everyone is using? I expect the answer may be SQL Developer, \
> but I'm open to suggestions and recommendations: Here's what we're currently \
> looking at:
> Quest SQL Navigator - probably a non-starter
> Quest Toad - better but still one of the most expensive options
> All Road Automations - PL/SQL Developer
> Devart - Oracle Developer Studio
> Oracle SQL Developer - good but formatting options for PL/SQL don't look great.
> Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio - good but a bit basic for heavy PL/SQL \
> development
> Suggestions welcome!
>
> Eric
>

> This email and any files transmitted with it are strictly confidential. It is \
> intended solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient \
> you must not copy, disclose, distribute or take or omit to take any action in \
> reliance on it. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and \
> notify us immediately.  All liability for any loss or damage caused by any virus \
> transmitted with this email is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. \
> Baillie Gifford&  Co may monitor outgoing and incoming emails and email attachments \
> including their content. Internet emails are not necessarily secure. No \
> responsibility is accepted for changes made to this message after it was sent. \
> Please read important legal and regulatory notifications at \
> http://www.bailliegifford.com/emaildisclaim.html * with information about the \
> sender and conditions relating to this transmission.  Baillie Gifford&  Co, Calton \
> Square, 1 Greenside Row, Edinburgh, EH1 3AN, Scotland are investment managers \
> authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA Reference Number \
> 142597).  A list of partners is available for inspection at the foregoing address.  \
> We invite you to visit our website at http://www.bailliegifford.com for more \
> information on our products and services. Baillie Gifford&  Co has a number of \
> subsidiary undertakings incorporated under the UK Companies Acts, all registered in \
> Scotland and having their registered office at the above Calton Square address. \
> Further details are provided below:- Baillie Gifford Overseas Limited, Registered \
> Number SC084807 and FSA Reference Number 121818 Baillie Gifford&  Co Limited, \
> Registered Number SC069524 and FSA Reference Number 119179 Baillie Gifford Life \
> Limited, Registered Number SC182496 and FSA Reference Number 189453 Baillie Gifford \
>                 Savings Management Limited, SC135636 and FSA Reference Number \
>                 150233
> * If you cannot access this page, it may be necessary to copy/paste the web address \
> [...]

Sue Harper| Senior Principal Product Manager| +44 118 924 5169
Oracle Database Development Tools Group
520 Oracle Parkway|Thames Valley Park| Reading|RG6 1RA
England

Learn more about the Data Modeler
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/datamodeler> and SQL
Developer
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer> on OTN
Watch online demos, read supporting collateral and try sample code and
tutorials
Migrating to Oracle Database? See oracle.com/goto/database-migration
<http://www.oracle.com/goto/database-migration>
*Blog:* http://sueharper.blogspot.com/
*Book*: Oracle SQL Developer 2.1
<http://www.packtpub.com/oracle-sql-developer-2-1/book/>