List:       odtug-sqlplus-l
Subject:    RE:  LOBs
From:       "Justin Cave \(DDBC\)" <jcave () ddbcinc ! com>
Date:       2004-05-28 17:54:55

LOB's are only stored internally in the database.  BFILEs are, in
essence, pointers to files on the server.  Oracle can modify LOB's, but
it cannot modify BFILEs.

Using UTL_FILE to generate a file from a CLOB is the most
general-purpose (and probably the easiest) option.  If you are dealing
with XML files, XML DB has some interesting functionality here, exposing
XML files stored in the database via FTP, for example.

Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC