List:       odtug-java-l
Subject:    Re: ADF vs the "dark side"   was:Good and easy to follow book for
From:       Lynn Guy <lguy01 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-12-30 4:38:22

I've followed some of the suggestions and the help topics.  They referred to a \
Microsoft driver different than the one I had so I installed the referenced driver.  \
I was able to get it to connect (not without hassle but it finally worked).  However \
I still have the problem that I cant test the Business Components, it fails with an \
error about inappropriate driver.  So go figure.
Anyway, I'll check out these additional links and if I still have trouble will pursue \
it further next week.  Thanks for the additional suggestions, from what I've seen I'd \
really like to get this working.

Shay Shmeltzer <shay.shmeltzer@oracle.com> wrote:
JDeveloper should be able to work with other databases. We have a few how-to's about \
this on OTN. And is you have problems you might want to try searching or posting on \
the JDeveloper forum on OTN as well. \
http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jsp?forum=83

Also, remember that you can use various persistence solutions when using ADF - I'm \
guessing that you are using ADF Business Components right now, so these how-to's \
might be helpful: http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/howtos/bc4j/bc_foreign_db_intro.html
 http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/howtos/10g/MySql/MySQL_and_BC_HowTo.html

As a side note - most of the Oracle Product Managers are on vacation this week, so \
you might need to wait until after new year to get answers to thougher questions :-)

Shay.

Lynn Guy wrote: Paul,
Well, I've hit the first snag.  I went through your book and selected the exercise in \
                chapter 8 on ADF business components.
- I have a db connection that set up easily and displays the tables and views in my \
                schema
- However, when I try to do the exercises the wizards display not'ing.  Worked great \
                with Oracle but went "duh" against SQL Server.
- I figured out how to add the entity and view objects, links and associations \
                manually and I think its all the same as the oracle example but \
                slower
- When I go to test the components I cant find any way to get it to talk to the db.

I understand that the tool might not read the meta data from SQL Server as its not \
anything like what Oracle has.  But it is disappointing that it wont connect to test \
the components once I built them by hand.  Does this mean that the components arent \
valid and wont work in a deployed app?  Darn, why wont it just use that connection?
later,
Lynn

Paul Dorsey <pdorsey@dulcian.com> wrote:
Lynn,

You are totally right.  Building a Struts based page flow by hand is terrible. That \
is what JDev 10g fixes.  The page flow diagrammer and the ADF extensions combine to \
make building Stuts page flows civilized.  For example, if you use ADF the whole form \
bean area goes away.  All you have to do is put in a single line of code that \
effectively says "I am using ADF" and then you can simply maintaine your elements in \
ADF and they are visible to Struts.
This also means that if you change things you don't have to do it in as many places.  \

Please keep me posted on ADF against the evil one.  ADF should work against any DB, \
but I would like to hear the experience of more projects that have done it.
Paul