List:       odtug-java-l
Subject:    Re: sample jsp + oracle file?
From:       rshea () att ! net
Date:       2004-12-21 5:00:31

Try the following:

Create a file called jdbc.jsp  so it can be accessed using   http://server/jdbc.jsp. \
Using the following code for the jsp:

<%@ page import="java.sql.*"%>

<%
//declaring these variable outside of the try so you can access them in finally \
section.

Connection conn = null;
Statement stmt = null;
ResultSet rs  = null;

//always have jdbc stuff in a try block
try{
            Class.forName ("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver");

            //getting the connection from the DriverManager
              conn = DriverManager.getConnection( \
"jdbc:oracle:thin:@207.67.135.11:1521:orcl", "scott", "tiger" );

            //Getting the statement from the connection, so we can execute queries
            stmt = conn.createStatement ();

            //Execute the query and grab the result set.
            rs = stmt.executeQuery ("SELECT emp#, name, hire_date FROM EMP");

            //so now we have the resultset, lets display it using HTML, using tables.
%>

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE> Oracle, JDBC, and JSP Tutorial </TITLE></HEAD>
<BODY>
        <TABLE BORDER="1">
        <!-- Creating the header for the information to be displayed -->
        <TR>
            <TD>EMP#</TD><TD>NAME</TD><TD>HIRE_DATE</TD>
        </TR>
        <% while( rs.next() ){%>
        <TR>
            <TD><%=rs.getInt("emp#")%></TD><TD><%=rs.getString("name")%></TD><TD><%=rs.getDate("hire_date")%></TD> \
  </TR>
        <%}%>
        </TABLE>

</BODY>
</HTML>
<%
}catch(Exception e){
    out.println("There was an exception. Stack trace will be printed to the error \
log.");      e.printStackTrace();
}finally{
        //this is important. You should close all three to free up resources. Always. \
In a finally block.  rs.close();
  stmt.close();
  conn.close();
}