List:       odtug-java-l
Subject:    Re: About licencing when running ADF applications in non-Oracle App
From:       Raghu Kodali <raghu.kodali () oracle ! com>
Date:       2004-06-14 13:54:28

Answers inline.

thanks and best regards
raghu

VJaen wrote:

> Hi raghu and Steve,
> 	Lets say my company stops using Oracle IAS as the app server but we keep \
> developing with JDev/ADF, then we start using BEA WebLogic (Or other), of course we \
> need license for BEA WebLogic and JDev license to develop the application, but \
> according to what Steve said we don't need to pay Oracle IAS license anymore, Am I \
> right?
Yes, if you are using ADF Business components along with other ADF
pieces (which seems to be your case).
My earlier clarification was only if you are using TopLink for backend
services.

> 	My questions comes because I was recently in a Java presentation with sun people \
> and the guy mentioned that ADF (actually was BC4J) is very good but you needed to \
> pay Oracle IAS license if you deploy your ADF application in a different app \
> server.  I'm promoting the user of JDev in my site because we are a Forms shop with \
> almost non-java experience and JDev10g seems to be very good and productive form \
> non-java gurus, but the company is trying to stay no attached to an specific vendor \
> at least in the app severs, so, after the sun guy's comments my boss is thinking \
> that JDev is not a good option.

As it currently stands,  if you are using ADF Business components, you
don't have buy Oracle AS license.

> Thanks!
> Victor.

[Attachment #3 (text/html)]

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
thanks and best regards<br>
raghu<br>
VJaen wrote:<br>
 cite="midF001.005E6C31.20040614061322@fatcity.com">
  <pre wrap="">Hi raghu and Steve,
	Lets say my company stops using Oracle IAS as the app server but we keep developing \
with JDev/ADF, then we start using BEA WebLogic (Or other), of course we need license \
for BEA WebLogic and JDev license to develop the application, but according to what \
Steve said we don't need to pay Oracle IAS license anymore, Am I right?</pre> \
pieces (which seems to be your case).<br>
My earlier clarification was only if you are using TopLink for backend
services.<br>
 cite="midF001.005E6C31.20040614061322@fatcity.com">
  <pre wrap="">

	My questions comes because I was recently in a Java presentation with sun people and \
the guy mentioned that ADF (actually was BC4J) is very good but you needed to pay \
Oracle IAS license if you deploy your ADF application in a different app server.  I'm \
promoting the user of JDev in my site because we are a Forms shop with almost \
non-java experience and JDev10g seems to be very good and productive form non-java \
gurus, but the company is trying to stay no attached to an specific vendor at least \
in the app severs, so, after the sun guy's comments my boss is thinking that JDev is \
not a good option.</pre> </blockquote>
As it currently stands,&nbsp; if you are using ADF Business components, you
don't have buy Oracle AS license.<br>
 cite="midF001.005E6C31.20040614061322@fatcity.com">
  <pre wrap="">

Thanks!
Victor.

&lt;You do not need licenses to deploy the applications built with ADF./&gt;

Steve Muench wrote:

You need licenses for JDev to cover the developers *building* the ADF applications.

You do not need licenses to deploy the applications built with ADF.

To illustrate one scenario, say you are an ISV and you build an app using ADF to \
resell.

Say you resell it to others, then:

   --&gt; If your end-customer uses your delivered application *as-is*, then they
       don't need more JDev licenses to run your app.

   --&gt; If they plan to perform application customization on it that requires
       their design-time use of JDev, then they -- like you -- would need
       JDev licenses to cover the developers at their site using JDev for
       this app customization. (Those licenses would also cover them for
       internal development of *other things* using JDev as well, of course)

Steve Muench - Technical Evangelist, Product Mgr, Developer, Author - Oracle
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" \
href="http://radio.weblogs.com/0118231/">http://radio.weblogs.com/0118231/</a>

We are planning to develop our new applications using J2EE technologies and we are \
the biggest Oracle client here in my country, so we already have licenses for \
JDeveloper, my question is, let's say we deploy/run an application developed with \
JDev10g and ADF in a non-Oracle App Server, Bea Web Logic for example, do we have to \
pay for ADF runtime licenses if we stop using Oracle IAS?

Thanks and regards!
Victor.
--
ODTUG Now! 2004, Let Us Show you How! June 20-24, 2004 at the Westin Kierland Resort, \
Scottsdale, Arizona.  Abstract deadline is January 20, 2004. Visit <a \
class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.odtug.com">http://www.odtug.com</a> \
                for details on the conference and to submit an abstract.--
Author: VJaen
  INET: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" \
href="mailto:MRXP-TVJ@pancanal.com">MRXP-TVJ@pancanal.com</a>

Fat City Hosting, San Diego, California -- <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" \
                href="http://www.fatcity.com">http://www.fatcity.com</a>
HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

  </pre>

Author: Raghu Kodali
  INET: raghu.kodali@oracle.com

Fat City Hosting, San Diego, California -- http://www.fatcity.com