List:       odtug-java-l
Subject:    Re: Eclipse IDE
From:       Brian Duff <Brian.Duff () oracle ! com>
Date:       2003-12-05 12:14:28

 From a purely practical point of view, it's worth pointing out that
JDeveloper, itself a huge Swing/Java application, runs without major
problems on 1.5 already without any changes. Given that 1.5 is such a
substantial release (despite the apparently minor change in version
number), this is quite an achievement and is testament to how generally
backward compatible Java is between releases.

Many of the issues we do experience when moving between JDK releases are
related to minor UI inconsistencies in Swing. Often these are quite
visible, so need to be fixed, but don't cause any major loss of
functionality.

Thanks,

Brian

Author: Brian Duff