List:       odtug-java-l
Subject:    Re: Oracle Tools non-direction (was Eclipse IDE)
From:       Jason King <jhking () airmail ! net>
Date:       2003-12-04 4:39:22

Roel,
I'm not sure how much pull you have at Redwood Shores but, to echo a
point first mentioned today be John Caputo, if you folks could release
source on the generators that would go a huge way towards easing your
existing clientele's "separation anxiety" because we know Oracle's
future tool focus is not on Designer.  Even if it were undocumented,
unsupported and for any 3rd party parts you just left holes and said "we
used version x of commercial library z" and left it to the community to
acquire or reproduce those libraries we'ed be a step of where we are now.
There are enough WSGL'ers (for example) that we'd have a big enough
community to maintain the tool and fix some long-standing bugs.  We'd
then turn into envangalists for you guys instead of constant carpers.
Give it a thought.
Roel Stalman wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Oracle has been in the tools business for over 20 years. During that
> period, there have been tremendous changes in technology (such as the
> Internet), resulting in the need for different tools offerings. Oracle
> is no different than any other tools vendor in that respect. We are
> very commited to Java and both our Application Server and Tools
> strategy are built on it. You will see strong product offerings in
> those areas. In addition, we are commited to support our other tools:
> Forms, Reports, and Designer.
>
> Yes, Bill Dwight has left Oracle. But that's life, people move on. He
> had been with the company for more than 12 years. We have a new Tools
> VP, Christophe Job, who has been in the tools business for most of his
> career and who should be familiar to many ODTUG members.
>
> If you look at JDeveloper 10g, you can see that there is a strong
> direction to make the product more productive and less complex. The
> tool is becoming much more visual and declarative, something that has
> been requested by many ODTUG members, as well as JDeveloper and Forms
> users in general. This has been our strategy all along and we are
> delivering the first installment with 10g and will continue that going
> forward.
>
> Finally, our executives are very committed to tools. We need tools to
> help developers build applications for the Oracle platform. We need
> tools to develop Oracle Applications. And last but not least, we are
> convinced that we can build world class tools for any developer.
>
> Roel Stalman,
> Oracle Corporation.

[Attachment #3 (text/html)]

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Roel,<br>
I'm not sure how much pull you have at Redwood Shores but, to echo a
point first mentioned today be John Caputo, if you folks could release
source on the generators that would go a huge way towards easing your
existing clientele's "separation anxiety" because we know Oracle's
future tool focus is not on Designer.&nbsp; Even if it were undocumented,
unsupported and for any 3rd party parts you just left holes and said
"we used version x of commercial library z" and left it to the
community to acquire or reproduce those libraries we'ed be a step of
where we are now.&nbsp; <br>
There are enough WSGL'ers (for example) that we'd have a big enough
community to maintain the tool and fix some long-standing bugs.&nbsp; We'd
then turn into envangalists for you guys instead of constant carpers.&nbsp;
Give it a thought.<br>
Roel Stalman wrote:<br>
 cite="midF001.005D8B33.20031203150921@fatcity.com">
  <title></title>
Mike,<br>
Oracle has been in the tools business for over 20 years. During that
period, there have been tremendous changes in technology (such as the
Internet), resulting in the need for different tools offerings. Oracle
is no different than any other tools vendor in that respect. We are
very commited to Java and both our Application Server and Tools
strategy are built on it. You will see strong product offerings in
those areas. In addition, we are commited to support our other tools:
Forms, Reports, and Designer.<br>
Yes, Bill Dwight has left Oracle. But that's life, people move on. He
had been with the company for more than 12 years. We have a new Tools
VP, Christophe Job, who has been in the tools business for most of his
career and who should be familiar to many ODTUG members.<br>
If you look at JDeveloper 10g, you can see that there is a strong
direction to make the product more productive and less complex. The
tool is becoming much more visual and declarative, something that has
been requested by many ODTUG members, as well as JDeveloper and Forms
users in general. This has been our strategy all along and we are
delivering the first installment with 10g and will continue that going
forward.<br>
Finally, our executives are very committed to tools. We need tools to
help developers build applications for the Oracle platform. We need
tools to develop Oracle Applications. And last but not least, we are
convinced that we can build world class tools for any developer.<br>
Roel Stalman,<br>
Oracle Corporation.<br>