List:       odtug-java-l
Subject:    RE: JDev version hypersensitivity
From:       Andrew Clarke <Andrew.Clarke () cmg ! com>
Date:       2002-09-04 8:58:20

I think there's a difference between 'supposed to work' and 'actually
works'.  The Java stated aim is that any old java ought to work in any new
JRE.  That's why Sun has deprecated loads of stuff but hasn't actually
(AFAIK) excised anything from the toolset.  However, that does not preclude
some things not working, due to bugs in the JDK.  As the Java API suite
grows (and how it grows) the possible testing paths will become ever more
convoluted.  Hence the possibility of certain bits of the older APIs not
working in particular circumstances must inevitably increase.  I would
expect those to be fixed by patch releases to 1.4 as they come to light.

But what do I know?  We're still on good ol' 1.3 here.  But I certainly
didn't notice any problems moving anything that had been developed in JDK
1.2 to JDK 1.3.

Regards, APC

A P Clarke
Consultant
CMG Admiral UK - Radio Spectrum International
Wyndham House
189 Marsh Wall
London
E14 9SH
Tel: +44 (0)20 7211 0603
Fax: +44 (0)20 7211 0364
Internet communications are not secure and therefore CMG UK Ltd does not
accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or
opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of CMG UK Ltd, unless otherwise specifically stated. If the
content of this e mail is to become contractually binding, it must be made
in writing and signed by a duly authorised representative of CMG UK Ltd