List:       nyphp-talk
Subject:    [nyphp-talk] [ANNOUNCE] Andromeda Feature Freeze
From:       Kenneth Downs <ken () secdat ! com>
Date:       2009-01-30 3:23:43

Andromeda is a database application framework written in PHP that builds
and uses PostgreSQL databases.

I am very happy to announce that as of tonight, we have drafted all
features that compose the original vision of Andromeda.  We are now
entering into debugging and documentation mode and are proceeding to
Release 1.

the docs are here: www.andromeda-project.org

and the demo is at www.andromeda-project.org/demo

the source of the demo is available here:
https://andro.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/andro/apps/finance/application

I sometimes like to call Andromeda the "un-framework" because it has
little in common with other frameworks out there.  Its primary goal is
to eliminate as many tasks as possible through radical use of the D-R-Y
principle at the database level.  In other words, we allow you to
specify huge amounts of security and application logic within the
description of the database.  This has ramifications for the entire
cycle.  Things like ORM and MVC seem way too complicated after you have
built an app with Andromeda -- a seasoned Andromeda  programmer wants to
spec out the database and get straight to the presentation of custom
pages, confidently knowing that the biz logic is all taken care of.

If you want to find out more, look at the source directory listed above,
you will see that there are only two files.  The magic is in the
'finance.dd.yaml' file, the entire demo as you see it is generated out
of that file.

However, no automated system is ever going to handle every case, so
Andromeda lets you freely and easily "escape the cage" at many levels.
If you have to 'drink the coolaid' to use Andromeda, we would prefer it
be only a teaspoon, not a jug.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.