List:       nyphp-joomla
Subject:    Re: [joomla] K2 thoughts and questions
From:       Helvécio_da_Silva <helvecio.rj () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-01-05 9:48:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I haven't had the need to move things around in the K2 template.

What I usually do is turn on/off whatever I need in the item view and item
in category view settings. I've used CSS once to move things around a
little bit.

But it would be nice to have a visual scheme of the K2 template where we
could drag things around and have it our way.

2012/1/5 David Roth <davidalanroth@gmail.com>

> I've been using Joomla for years now, but until recently I had not focused
> on K2.
>
> A few things which are wonderful about K2. First of all, the extra fields
> which helps to add additional fields to K2 Item. I think the use of
> sub-categories is also good.
>
> Some things make me uncomfortable and I wanted to share those here to see
> how others might be handling them. There is the Joomla template and then
> there is the K2 template. The K2 template controls that part of the webpage
> like the body of it, for lack of a better term while the Joomla template
> handles the rest. So the K2 template for a K2 item is like being able to
> have your own template for each Joomla article. This sounds amazingly
> flexible but with this comes what I find to be a disconnect and enter into
> a very un-Joomla-like area. If you don't like the layout of the K2 template
> such as it's order on the sections on the page page, you have to resort to
> editing a PHP program (item.php) in order to change this. K2 doesn't have
> modules like Joomla does for the templates so you can't go in as
> administrator and change the ordering of the modules because there are no
> modules.
>
> I started to wonder if there might be a K2 Template Manager which might do
> what the Template Manager does for Joomla. I've seen one online but I don't
> think it allows ordering of the K2 part of the page unless I missed
> something. After having looked over the item.php code this past week it
> doesn't look like there is any other way to change the order of what is on
> the page than to edit item.php itself. I've also not been able to find the
> kind of documentation on K2 templates like there is for Joomla templates.
>
> Even with Joomla templates no programming is required to move modules
> around on the page such as top, bottom, etc. How are people managing this
> with K2? Is there a better way?
>
> David Roth

> NYPHPCon 2006 Presentations Online
> http://www.nyphpcon.com