List:       nyphp-joomla
Subject:    [joomla] "check for updates" (Re: Reminder: Joomla NYC User Group
From:       David Roth <davidalanroth () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-08-07 4:56:47

Donna has a very good point.

Maybe this would work, when you login as Admin it does a check for
upgrade. If it's available, next to the version, which could be
changed to "Current version: 1.x.x      New version: 1.xy". The "New
version" could be linked to either the one-click upgrade you mentioned
or directly where to download it from joomla.org. The "New version"
would only appear if there was indeed a newer stable version available
over the current one installed. Highlighted with a different color.
This could be configured as Admin for those who want to know about
even beta versions. Also, this would be a good area to alert about new
patches especially for security updates.

For those who might always be logged in as Admin, the script could
check every 24 hours if a new upgrade is available.

David Roth