List:       nyphp-joomla
Subject:    [joomla] Another Joomla NYC User Group meeting reminder and update
From:       Stephen Britton <sbritton () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-07-11 18:30:07

My bad. I forgot to include directions to Thursday's meeting in the

Our new meeting room is at 146 West 65th Street. If you are walking
west from Broadway, look for the two glass doors on the left side,
next to the underground parking entrance. Enter and walk to the back.
Then turn left and it is the next door. You will have to ask the
security guard to buzz you in. Then take the elevator down one floor
and you are there.

Also, current meeting dates and directions to the Lincoln Center
meeting space can always be found at www.joomlanyc.org (Thank you
Marion!)

I also neglected to remind everyone that Joomla Day NYC 2011 weekend
is Oct. 22 and 23. See www.joomladaynyc.com

As for swag - I have a copy of Barry North's new book, Joomla! 1.6: A
User's Guide: Building a Successful Joomla! Powered Website (3rd
Edition) to raffle off (Thank you Prentice Hall!). Hopefully, there
will be more stuff to give away.

BONUS Joomla News

Joomla 1.7 is due to be released on July 19th (date subject to
change). Note to Joomla! 1.6 users - you will be able to upgrade
though the admin panel, but you must have Joomla 1.6.4 installed to
upgrade to 1.7. Support for Joomla 1.6 ends one month after 1.7 is
released. So if you are using 1.6 plan to upgrade quickly.

While we are talking about Joomla 1.7, there is also going to be a
soon-to-be released Joomla Platform. The Joomla Platform will allow
developers to take parts of the Joomla framework and use it in other
CMSs and projects. For example a developer making a custom CMS could
save time by using Joomla's ACL or registration system. The platform
will be known as Joomla Platform 11.1 The "11" stands for the year,
2011, and the "1" means the first release.

This is great news for Joomla because it will hopefully get more
developers involved and innovations developed in the platform will
likely be added to the CMS.

My favorite Joomla editor, JCE is now available for Joomla 1.6! Great
news of those looking for an editor with more features than TinyMCE.
You can download JCE 2.0 now.
http://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/editor/joomla-16

All best,

Steve