List:       nutch-developers
Subject:    Re: [Nutch-dev] Search Performance
From:       Daniel Naber <daniel.naber () t-online ! de>
Date:       2004-12-19 11:56:21

On Friday 17 December 2004 17:05, Luke Baker wrote:

> (3) Given an index of 2 million URLs and those major index structures in
> RAM what is limiting us to only 20 queries/second?

I can only speak for Lucene, not sure if everything also applies to Nutch.
There are two things that might be "slow":

First, the term lookup itself scales very well, but the searches takes
longer if there are many matches. That's because the documents are not
ordered by their score in the index, so Lucene needs to look at every
document id that is attached to a term (this implementation is very fast,
but it's not O(1)).

Second, for every match that is displayed the document needs to be fetched
to display its title etc. If you only keep .tis, .frq, .prx in RAM then
one disk access is needed for every document that is displayed.

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de