List:       nutch-developers
Subject:    Re: [Nutch-dev] Need Some Help
From:       Kragen Sitaker <ksitaker () commerce ! net>
Date:       2004-11-23 16:46:08

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 11:26 +0530, sanjit@e-synergyonline.com wrote:
> But when I entered some search text in it, it gave me following error
> root cause
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> net.nutch.searcher.NutchBean.init(NutchBean.java:82)
> net.nutch.searcher.NutchBean.<init>(NutchBean.java:68)
> net.nutch.searcher.NutchBean.<init>(NutchBean.java:58)
> net.nutch.searcher.NutchBean.get(NutchBean.java:50)
> org.apache.jsp.search_jsp._jspService(search_jsp.java:71)

This suggests that perhaps you don't yet have any segments to search.
See
http://www.nutch.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Main/GettingNutchRunningOnDebian#Nutch_died_with_a_NullPointerExc
for more details.

(People have disagreed with this particular UI decision --- reporting
missing segments with a NullPointerException --- for a while, but nobody
has yet gotten around to fixing it.)

HTH.  And thanks to Tom Bloomfield for restoring the Wiki (even if in a
slightly broken state) last night so that it's possible to point people
at this stuff.