List:       ntsecurity
Subject:    RE: [NTSEC] security checklist removed Network browsing - The
From:       smanzu () ca ! ibm ! com
Date:       2000-03-20 20:39:02

Contact ntsecurity-owner@iss.net for help with any problems!

/<RANT=ON>

This is the problem with using checklists and not understanding the
repercussions of your changes.  Too many people have created checklists for
the so called non-expert to follow.  How do you learn anything just by
taking a checklist and following its suggestions.

As far as the MS IIS checklist goes, it leaves out a few issues, and as you
are experiencing, breaks certain functions on your box that you may or may
not require.  Simply following this checklist will not secure your IIS box.
I guarantee it.

Before following any type of checklist, you should make sure you have an
understanding as to why they are asking you to disable/enable something and
what the effect of such a change will have on your environment.  Do some
research into issues with IIS and the workarounds. create your own
checklist for your specific environment.

Don't just follow someone else's advice and hope you are secure without
really learning anything or know what you changed and why.

/<RANT=OFF>

Sprowl Theresa <sprowlt@psajax.navy.mil> on 03/08/2000 05:03:42

Please respond to Sprowl Theresa <sprowlt@psajax.navy.mil>