List:       ntsecurity
Subject:    [NTSEC] browser service problem
From:       Fidencio Basilio Cruz <basilio () aketzali ! super ! unam ! mx>
Date:       2000-03-16 21:53:00

Contact ntsecurity-owner@iss.net for help with any problems!

Hi,

I have a lot of traffic due to browser service. It seems that some
machines can't find their browser server, so they are trying to get it
through a broadcast address. However, I'm getting reports from many
administrators complaining about accounts locks. Is this problem caused by
the activity described or am I having an attack exploint the netbios
protocol? I have observed many connections to the 139 port.
The machines are Windows NT with SP3.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks.