List:       ntsecurity
Subject:    RE: [NTSEC] Login problems
From:       "Peter Cornell" <pcornell () ucar ! edu>
Date:       1999-07-26 14:41:46

Contact ntsecurity-owner@iss.net for help with any problems!

First of all, make sure your NT Workstations are members of your domain, NOT
a workgroup.  Then make sure the NT machines are logging into this domain,
not the local machine.  When you don't authenticate on the domain you will
get prompted for credentials whenever attaching to a network resource on the
domain.  This sounds like what's happening and this is NOT the security
model you want.

Second, check your user rights.
In User Manager for Domains under, Policies, User Rights:  Make sure the
following right is granted to the "Domain Users" default group:  "Access
this computer from the network."  This must be enabled for Domain Users, a
group that everyone is a member of by default.

If this doesn't help:  Do you have system policies in place?  If so make
sure there aren't restrictions that prohibit network logons for
non-administrative users.

Third, get rid of Win98!

- Peter C -