List:       ntsecurity
Subject:    [NTSEC] Newbie question
From:       simon () cybersimon ! com
Date:       1998-01-30 12:49:21

Contact ntsecurity-owner@iss.net for help with any problems!

I have just discovered the wonders of registering a domain, setting up
my server (Exchange 5, IIS4 etc) and playing around with
Performance/Network monitor. All very new and very rewarding. I've
only just started pulling this list and I am not sure if my question
is a little beneath you all. (so forgive me if it is)

With regard to security. What performance monitor objects/Netmon
traffic should I be logging if I wish to "listen" to any access
traffic to my site.

In other words, I am curious, as to who is pinging or in any other
form (other then perhaps SMTP mail) accessing my site for at the
moment I feel a little deaf/dumb and I if I am to learn anything about
NT/net security, I had better learn how to detect outside
access/attempted access and then take appropriate measures to close
any loopholes I might have in my security (if any)

Whilst I can capture just about anything there is an object for, I am
more concerned with defining the appropriate filters to ensure that I
can pinpoint the traffic I am interested in, rather then all traffic
generated to/from my server.

Any pointers to specific resources (whitepapers/resource kit articles
etc) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Simon James

["Simon James (E-mail).vcf" (application/vcard)]