List:       ntp-hackers
Subject:    Re: [ntp:hackers] [ntpwg] Proposal for multiple log file capability
From:       Rob Neal <hundoj () comcast ! net>
Date:       2009-10-21 16:20:51

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009, tglassey wrote:

> David Mills wrote:
>> Tod,
>>
>> All the events produce a trap which you can configure any way you
>> choose.
> Within the NTP environment I agree but there is nothing to configure
> that trap from the ntp.conf file For instance we should allow policy
> controls to send out traps and possibly emails under policy controls.
 	There is the "trap" configuration keyword, which allows
 	specification of destination address and port.
 	That would seem to me to be adequate - the trap recipient
 	could run whatever notification chain one wished, based
 	on the content of the trap datagram.
 	Granted, no trap listener program comes with the NTP
 	distro, but shouldn't that function be divorced from
 	the delivery agent? It's not especially hard to write
 	that sort of thing, even for a netnoob like me.

 	My biggest concern here is configuration complexity
 	being added to the ntp.conf file, to sort out event/dest/distro
 	list stuff. That could grow real hair, quickly. At the very least,
 	that sort of policy should be stuffed off in another config
 	grotto, away from ntp.conf. IMHO.