List:       ntp-hackers
Subject:    Re: [ntp:hackers] Further to the timestamping issue
From:       "David L. Mills" <mills () udel ! edu>
Date:       2008-06-19 19:13:52

Todd,

As of this morning the development branch can accept hardware
timestamps. However, the kernel clock apparatus is still necessary in
order to interpolate time betwen timestamp capture. This limits
potential accuracy to a couple of microseconds due to the kernel clock
swish and sway. It would in principle be possible to implement the
kernel clock as an external clock device of higher quality and we once
did that with a purpose-built bus peripheral. P-H has done that using a
rubidium oscillator. Provisions for that are in the precision kernel code.

Provision for multiple primary standard oscillators requires a means to
develop a synthetic timescale, which is usually done after the fact.
Primary standard oscillators provide only a frequency; they have to be
calibrated to establish the seconds epoch. I calibrate mine by
physically transporting it to USNO, where a technician brings a BNC
cable to the truck and pushes the calibrate button. A candidate NTP
timescale including multiple standard oscillators and intended for
possible implementation and deployment is described in my book. It is
based on the ARIMA scheme used at NIST.

Dave