List:       ntop-dev
Subject:    RE: [Ntop-dev] Rather severe ntop bug
From:       "Burton M. Strauss III" <Burton () ntopsupport ! com>
Date:       2004-04-28 12:25:11

26K hosts would be a reasonable estimate for that many pages.  If ntop
rolled into swap space, then I could see how some of the more complex pages
could take long enough to create to trip the alarm (the basic flow is to
walk the table, creating an array of pointers to the selected HostTraffic
entries, then sort the pointers and walk that array to output the rows - so
there can be quite a lot of swapping)

A more robust log wouldn't have prevented anything but the space exhaustion.
It's still a good idea - I'll be there are metalog (or another alternative)
rpms out there.

The point remains that something got messed up in the tables - stray
pointer, etc. - and that we'll never know what unless it repeats and you can
trap the issue (which is unlikely given the size factor - running under
Valgrind would probably be prohibitively slow).

Thanks for the responses, however.

-----Burton