List:       ntop-dev
Subject:    Re: [Ntop-dev] SSL under Solaris (was something else)
From:       Jochen Kmietsch <ntop () jochen ! kmietsch ! org>
Date:       2003-12-26 11:00:38

Hello!

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Burton M. Strauss III wrote:

> Never heard of -R flags.

Hm.  I have to use them all the time when developing under Solaris, since
Solaris does not have the Linux-ld.so concept, no ld.so.conf etc.
(actually, it's possible, but not encouraged to use this mechanism)
NetBSD has a similar concept, IIRC from my NetBSD-Alpha-experiences.
The -R flags for the compiler set the -rpath flags for the
linker, to make the program binary look in the specified directories for
dynamic libraries.

> 1. make sure you're using the Gnu tools, esp. make and ld - may have to
> install libtools and the other stuff from SunFreeware.com

In my case, for various reasons I prefer to use the GCC from the software
companion CD, which indeed uses the Sun linker from /usr/ccs/bin.  I do
use gmake, though, since the Sun make chokes on many Makefiles.

> 2. For OS/version specific stuff, the place to add flags is in the
> configureextra/xxxxx files - if you look over the entire set, there's an

Found that, that's where I put it in.

Like I wrote, it's a problem with my SSL-setup, and not ntop's fault.
Just thought it might be a useful hint in case somebody else stumbled
across that error.

Greetings, Jochen
--
"Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life."
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804)