List:       ntop-dev
Subject:    RE: [Ntop-dev] libpcap performance
From:       "Burton M. Strauss III" <Burton () ntopsupport ! com>
Date:       2003-08-27 20:21:36

Luca...

There's a lot of stuff written about packet loss, but nothing I could find
that was definitive.

I've written on it too, search for 'Zero Copy' in the FAQ (it's got pointers
to the articles).

Also threads like this:

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/snort/2001-04/0183.html -- which
indicate that the Linux pcap_stats counters are bogus.

And this :-) http://www.ist-scampi.org/events/bof-2003/deri.pdf

Might try talking to these folks (see 3.5)
http://traffic.caida.org/CoralReef/coral-3.5.1-public/doc/coralreef-faq-3.ht
ml, it sounds like they have experience with the limits of libpcap.

-----Burton