List:       ntop
Subject:    Re: [Ntop] NTOP - Disk full
From:       Bruce Ferrell <bferrell () baywinds ! org>
Date:       2020-08-12 2:49:43

On 8/11/20 1:42 PM, Oskar Atkinson wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> our NTOP instance is installed on a dedicated machine, 500GB SSD
>
> unfortunately, we ran out of disk space
>
> most data seem to be in:
>
> 144G    /var/lib/mysql
> 195G    /var/lib/ntopng
>

> now the question is how to shrink the data without killing the NTOP install. I have \
> CLI access to the machine only, NTOP UI is not coming up anymore
> Thanks in advance for any hints
>
> Oskar
>
> --
> Oskar Atkinson
> CF
> xBar7 Communications, LLC
> 231 Gray Mountain Dr
> Lyons, CO 80540
> 720-230-6834
> 720-496-6834 direct

Oskar

Since you have CLI access (I presume root) these are the things I would check for:

1.) See if /var/log can be cleaned and how much space that will buy you

2.) check /var/lib/mysql for log files (there are several kinds) If there are old \
ones, remove them.  if there are bin logs, they can be safely removed as well.

     Once you free space, continue checking.  "stuff" mysql has held in ram will try \
to write itself to disk... If mysql hasn't locked up completely.

     You will almost certainly have to repair the mysql table spaces in any case.

      There are repair/optimize table commands that will reclaim space used by \
deleted rows.

       As databases go, this is actually fairly small.

3.) /var/lib/ntopng contains a number of flat files.  You'll want to look at that \
carefully to determin what you can safely prune