List:       ntop
Subject:    [Ntop] Opening up ntop
From:       Luca Deri <deri () ntop ! org>
Date:       2008-06-25 13:31:25

Dear all
I want to share with you some ideas that I have in mind since a few
months. After 10 years of ntop (as project I mean, not just an
application) I believe there's a need to tackle some rough edges. In
particular, the main problem I see is that ntop is perceived as an
application I mostly develop and (beside very few users) you use with
limited (if any) contribution in terms of code development. In a
nutshell I can expect bug reports but no code. IMHO this is due to two
reasons. First, is my personal failure to build a real ntop developer
community (I'll came to this argument later in this email) and second
because ntop is not simple to hack for everyone.

Even if I'm not an open-source expert, I believe that in order to
increase the number of people that can contribute to the project as
developers, is to reduce the amount of knowledge needed. For this
reason, as you might have noticed in the past weeks, I have started to
implement a Perl (more languages will follow if there's a request from
the community) interface that allows users to become developers. I
envisage (this in a few months as soon as the API is stable) the
creation of a ntop contribution site where users contribute with perl
scripts. My vision is to turn ntop into an engine, with a default web
GUI (the one you know) but with the ability to have a richer user
experience by means of an perl scripts. If this move will succeed, I
hope that many people will contribute and that development will be
parallelized. Done that, some other parts need to be open but this is
perhaps too early to discuss.

ntop as a community. This is certainly a weak point of the project. I
believe that the core ntop team (that's basically me) need to be
enlarged by establishing responsibilities/duties, commit to them, and
avoiding that the whole project would depend on me. I have no clue how
to achieve this. I've asked some people around, and I would like to
come up with a response at the end of the summer. I need your
contribution here both in terms of ideas and contribution to the
project.

Please send me your thoughts. The ultimate goal is to allow ntop to
grow both in terms of application and community.

Cheers Luca