List:       ntop
Subject:    RE: [Ntop] Vlan Report
From:       "Chris Moore" <chris.moore () gmd ! com>
Date:       2006-06-16 17:03:39

Doh! Packet sampling theory link:

http://www.sflow.org/about/sampling_theory.php

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Moore
Sent: vendredi 16 juin 2006 11:01
To: ntop@unipi.it

Sorry, that's Sampled Netflow.

I think you might already have it (not a lot of experience w/ the big
Cisco switches - we use Foundry):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk812/tsd_technology_support_protocol_ho
me.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_
guide09186a00801a7618.html

Here's some good stuff about sampling. It's about sFlow but is just as
applicable to Netflow. The jist of it is that over the long term,
sampling is pretty darn accurate as long as you're not looking for
specific packets that come in ones and twos.

Right now, Ntop doesn't do the multiplying for you, but if you're
sampling 1 in 64 packets, just multiply whatever Ntop says by 64. I
discussed adding multiplier functionality into Ntop awhile back with
Luca with respect to sFlow. Dunno if this is still on his roadmap or
not.

Use the Netflow plugin in Ntop and see back traffic discussing both
NetFlow and sflow.