List:       ntop
Subject:    RE: [Ntop] erroneous service reporting
From:       "Gary Gatten" <Ggatten () waddell ! com>
Date:       2006-05-11 22:52:25

LMAO!

So, fork up some $$$ or go away?  Sounds reasonable to me - I don't
work for free either.

Using NBAR I can classify certain types of traffic (most p2p stuff)
regardless of what port(s) it uses.  I can then manipulate the IP and
TCP headers using Policy Based Routing, NAT, etc.  For instance, I can
make all Gnutella traffic look like it's coming from a specific IP
and/or port number - regardless of what the end user is actually using.
So, nTop will in theory always know that port ... "n" = Gnutella.  The
only question is whether or not netflow will report the IP and port
numbers before or after all the trickery NBAR and PBR and NAT does...
I'm not sure about this part....

Maybe someone smarter than me - that WILL work for free - could borrow
come code from somewhere (Snort) and build us a plugin?

Gary

>>> Burton@ntopSupport.com 5/11/2006 4:13 PM >>>
Right church, wrong pew.  It's actually a smidge more complex - we
report
traffic based on the lower port # we recognize.

So if we come in in the middle and see 80->32451, we call it HTTP(80)
same
as if we saw the initial 32451->80 request.

For me, Plans = Supported Development.  $0 supported development = no
plans.

Remember:

Layer 3 (e.g. http) are handled via the -P protocol list.

Layer 2 protocols are more complex - that takes coding.

Similarly, deep inspection (into the packets of a layer 3 protocol)
takes:
   (1) coding
   (2) access to packet contents - NetFlow?  Buzzz but thanks for
playing...
   (3) a reality check

(WRT #3 - we don't, for example, want to maintain a site wide
connection
tracking table to monitor - say - NAT or P2P sessions)

-----Burton