List:       ntop
Subject:    RE: [Ntop] Network Throughput
From:       "Craig Humphrey" <Craig.Humphrey () chapmantripp ! com>
Date:       2005-10-30 20:54:29

Hi Rivalino,

It may not be the same for your telco, but many Frame Relay links are
sold with two speeds, basically a minimum, which is generaly what you've
ask for and pay for, and a maximum (based on the shared bandwidth of the
circuit), they have some funky names like CIR and DIR or something (it's
been too long, I can't remember).

So it's quite possible that you will see bursts of traffic that go above
the contracted rate for a given link.

Onother way to check this, might be to get NTOP to get a netflow feed
from the router at the other end, or use something like MRTG to monitor
the interfaces and double check the traffic levels that way.  Of course,
any monitoring you do is going to increase the bandwidth that you use :)

Hope that helps.

Later'ish
Craig

[snip snip]