List:       ntop
Subject:    RE: [Ntop] old,
From:       Joe Schmoe <non_secure () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2005-05-30 23:13:59

Heh.

--- Burton Strauss <Burton@ntopSupport.com> wrote:

> Read the FAQ - intop is gone. 1.3 has both technical
> (i.e. lots of bugs,
> many lethal) and security issues AND IS NOT
> RECOMMENDED NOR SUPPORTED.

I was being polite, actually - what I meant to say
was, "I am not a little girl that needs every tool
sugarcoated with pretty little pictures, so where can
I find the old ntop, that wasn't a big bloated pile of
shit with a bunch of crap nobody but the authors ever
wanted".

Funny how the advent of linux has caused the unix
world to become infected with bloat and feature-creep.

> "intop is not supported.  It's gone and no longer in
> the cvs.  For a look at
> Rocco's new, work-in-progress, download ntcsh, the
> ntop enabled tcsh shell."

Haha.  ntop enabled tcsh shell.  What ever will you
think of next ?  Will that have a built in
SNMP/web/mail/ftp/ircd server as well ?  What kind of
pretty pictures will it display for my viewing
pleasure.

Face it:  you had a great idea for a small, efficient,
useful tool that _real_ unix sysadmins could use.
Then you just went nuts and blew it all out of any
reasonable proportion with all the garbage you added
to it.  It bears no resemblance to the good, useful
tool you once built.  It's worthless.

And the response is some new wacked out project
building it into a shell, blah blah blah.

You suck.  I miss the useful ntop.  I have no use for
the big pile of garbage you are currently working on.

I'm apparently not the only one who thinks this - here
is a comment I saw on your freshmeat page:

when i ran linux i ran a console only ntop, it was
like top only for network ( i could guess thats why it
was called ntop). the last few years ive been lazy and
stuck with netstat. tonight i decided to try out the
ntop that i loved in the past. wtf is this, an
embedded webserver, ssl, all kinds of shit. this
should no longer be ntop as its veered very far away
from top. this should be called nsomethingnew. either
release ntopOS or leave it be.

heh...ntopOS.  I am sure you are working on it.

So in conclusion, I am sure all the newbie linux kids
that have been using unix for 10 years or less
probably think all your graphics and built in
webservers and blah blah are just great.  But some of
us just like good, efficient tools that do one job
well.  ntop used to be that.  Then you fucked it up.

Good luck with that.