List:       ntop
Subject:    Re: [Ntop] ntop & MacOS X 10.1.2
From:       Lewis Francis <lfrancis () mac ! com>
Date:       2002-01-31 14:58:30

Hey Marc,

I think the OS X binary installer might need some tuning.  For instance,
after a similar reportedly error-less install, I can't run ntop at all
(system asks if I really want to run Top), it didn't seem to install all
the html files, and from my brief inquiry it looks like the directory
structures aren't what they should be.  I haven't had a chance to
rearrange things to test that assumption.  I'm hoping to free up some
time to get back to this because the tool looks very useful.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I saw a post from someone who seemed
to have a successful installation, so maybe there's something different
in our setups that's causing the problem.

Fwiw, my machine is a TiBook 550 OS X.1.2.

-Lewis

On Thursday, January 31, 2002, at 09:31 AM, Marc.Chicha@unipi.it, scp
Chicha Notaires wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Sorry to bother this list with a Newbie-question :
>
> I tried twice to install ntop, on two different machines, both of them
> G4 (450 & 867). The installer gently said it would install in
> /usr/local and worked fine, without any report of anything wrong, and
> in fact the ntop directory is installed as said in usr/local.
> Everything fine, but it refuses to execute :  Always says "permission
> denied", on both machines, even in su and/or sudo mode, even connected
> as root, even with option -u or -h, even after "chown root.root ntop;
> chmod 6111" as explained in manual...
>
> I'am pretty sure I missed something  basic & simple ;-)
>
> Thanx in advance for any idea to help
>
> Marc.

"We want information..."
--Number 2