List:       ntop
Subject:    Re: [Ntop] dnsCache.db
From:       "Guillaume" <guillaume () anteria ! fr>
Date:       2002-01-26 17:12:26

Dans son précédent message Richard Daniel Farina écrivait :

> One ntop user to another, I really think that it's great that you help
> others.  I thank you very much for your solution on my ntop dnsCache.db
>  problem, my ntop performs flawlessly now.  Until now, I had been
> running version 1.1 of ntop which I have loved dearly.  I had upgraded
> once to version 1.3 because I wanted to see the new version, but I fell
>  back to version 1.1 when I saw that the ntop server could be shutdown
> from the web interface.  I notice that this version also has the same
> feature, and that a password is not needed to shutdown the server.  How
>  do I make it so that a password must be given to shutdown the server
> without making the entire page password access only?
> Thanks again for all of your help earlier, this new version has some
> amazing stuff!

Hi !

I did not use any earlier version of ntop than the 2.0. I just read the docs
& faq & guide about the 1.1...

But it seems that you can act on the way users can shut down ntop throug the
web interface. Go to the Admin page, click on URLs.
Then, click either on the Delete User icon or on Modify (the little pen
icon). If you click on the little pen, you'll be able to modify the URL
associate with the shutdown action. You can change user able to shut down
ntop (admin user by default), i.e.: create a special user just for the
shutdown action and then allowing just this user to do this. I anyway have
to see if ntop admin user has all rights (like *nix super-user root).
A more simple way to disable shutdown through web interface is to delete the
shut user : go the Admin page, click on URLs and then on the Delete User
icon (why User ? I don't know... should be Delete URL !).

What annoyes me is that the default username and password are written in the
authentication popup... ;-)

Guillaume

[ Sent with SquirrelMail -  http://www.squirrelmail.org     ]