List:       ntop
Subject:    RE: [Ntop] Q: Does ntop detect duplicate MAC addresses?
From:       "McNutt, Justin M." <McNuttJ () missouri ! edu>
Date:       2001-06-15 13:37:15

No one station can detect duplicate MAC addresses.  It takes a device like a
switch, a router, or a smart netadmin to detect that.

Even seeing multiple packets with different IPs but the same MAC isn't
conclusive.  You can put more than one IP address on a workstation.
(Although if none of *your* workstations are configured that way, you've got
it.)

--J