List:       ntbugtraq
Subject:    FW: Microsoft Exchange as a Spamming Host
From:       Mike Scharff <mscharff () EMAIL ! MSN ! COM>
Date:       1997-12-07 23:42:50

Please note that this information is not accurate at all. Exchange 5.5
implements a few security features that will allow ONLY persons with
mailboxes on that server to utilize that IMS, or only persons whose from
field matches authentication, also requiring authentication on the IMS
period, all of these methods, as well as others, are available to alleviate
spam. Unfortunately, the problem does not lie with exchange, or Netscape,
or any of the mailhosts, there are inherent limitations in keeping
compliance with the current SMTP (Spam Means This Protocol) RFC's.