List:       ntbugtraq
Subject:    Uninstalling W2K SP4 from Recovery Console
From:       "George V. Lob" <george () MAGNUM ! COM>
Date:       2004-05-07 15:22:01

I was wondering if anyone has run into this problem when trying to
uninstall a service pack from the recovery console.

I installed SP4 and after reboot I received and error that the
ntoskrnl.exe was corrupt. So, I booted into the recovery console and ran
spuninst.bat to uninstall the service pack and rebooted only to get a
software error load dlls for kernel.

Going back to read the output file for the spuninst.bat, I found that
files for the c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\ directory
received Access Denied when being copied. I also noticed I received "The
system cannot find the file or directory specified" for some files near
the end of the batch process.

Any ideas as to why these errors would show up? I would assume that all
the files changed during the install would be in the uninstall
directory, so I am baffled as to why some of the files were not found.

Sincerely,

George V. Lob
IT Manager
Magnum U.S. Investments, Inc.
305-935-7544 x106

This e-mail is confidential. If it is not intended for you, please
return to sender with notification of incorrect address or please delete
and notify sender. You may not disclose or use it in any way.

-----
Earn up to 10 credit course hours toward the TruSecure ICSA Practitioner (TICSA) \
Credential and receive a TICSA exam coupon by attending the Infosecurity Canada 2004 \
conference.  Featured speaker, Marcus J. Ranum, TruSecure inventor of the proxy \
firewall will present on June 3 at 11:30 AM.  Visit <https://ticsa.trusecure.com>  \
for certification details and <http://www.infosecuritycanada.com>  for conference \
                information.  Become TICSA certified and see what happens!
-----