List:       ntbugtraq
Subject:    Missing WIN2K Server Desktop
From:       "Bell, Richard" <RFBell () SOSMAIL ! STATE ! AR ! US>
Date:       2003-10-31 14:09:45

After applying SP4 and MS recommended security updates on a Compaq Proliant
570 used to support an Oracle DB, we lost the server desktop shortly after
midnight the following day.

We followed up with Compaq looking for  hardware issues, none of which were
found.

We then began with MS tech support who advised us to remove all the
patches/updates installed after SP3.  We were told it should resolve the
problem, which it did until midnight.  Once again, we discovered numerous
Windows protection errors and our inability to access the desktop.

For the last two weeks we have tried virtually everything, including a
parallel install of the OS and registering the desktop DLL's, under MS's
direction.  Parallel desktop comes up fine but we still can't get the other
back, even after moving some of the files at MS's direction.

We have since learned that 4 security updates remain and cannot be removed,
KB823559, KB824105, KB824146 and KB828026.  We have also discovered that
some reference to SP4 seems to still be buried in the registry and we can
not seem to get it out.

I guess I am looking for any ideas, suggestions or general votives,  at this
point, short of reinstalling WIN2K and Oracle (you can imagine why).
Needless to say, I don't have a spare server to do this on.

Also, just in case you think we didn't try, we did install all the updates
on several other WIN2K servers without a hitch.  We let the stuff run for a
good bit before tackling the Oracle box.

Richard Bell
Director of Information Technology
Arkansas Secretary of State
501.682.5160
501.682.3413 fax
501.399.8477 pager
www.sosweb.state.ar.us

-----
Marcus Ranum's new book "The Myth of Homeland Security" is now out and
is available from http://www.amazon.com/ranum In this hard-hitting
review of the homeland security business, Ranum shows us how the problem
is vastly harder than it's being made to sound, and how special
interests, butt covering, and bureaucracy are threatening to derail any
chance of making progress.
-----